We believe that continuous learning is a key to leading a rich and fulfilling life. We believe learning never ends and that those who are learners are those who will succeed. Our curriculum revolves around the Essential Question 'Where and How Do I Fit into The World?' All of our courses provide a framework in which students grapple with that question and we utilize seminar, interactive and discussion-oriented instruction in all our classes.
Monte del Sol has diverse course offerings in every subject. Arts courses include Choir, Performing Arts, Moving Images, Music, Photography, Visual Arts, and Traditional New Mexico Arts. World Languages offered are Spanish, French and Japanese and Spanish Language Arts for native Spanish speakers. Seniors have the opportunity to take literature electives including Chicano Literature, Women's Literature, Creative Writing, Shakespeare, Victorian Literature, Native American Literature, and Writing of the Southwest. We offer Advanced Placement classes and a science elective in Sustainability.
Monte del Sol offers an integrated course of academic studies including:
- Mathematics: Pre-algebra or Algebra I (indicated through a math placement test)
- World Languages: Spanish, Japanese or Spanish Language Arts
- Language Arts: English 7, English 8; English Language Development
- Social Studies: New Mexico History; US History
- Integrated Science: Science 7, Science 8
- The Arts: Visual Arts, Photography, Performing Arts, Choir, Mass Media, Moving Images, Traditional New Mexico Arts. Middle School students choose four different semester art courses
- Physical Education usually taken during 7th Grade
Monte del Sol students require a minimum of 27 high-school credits to graduate. Courses include:
- Four years of Language Arts: English / AP English
- Four years of Social Studies: New Mexico History / Geography; World History / Geography; US History / AP History; Government and Economy
- Four years of Mathematics: Algebra I and II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Financial Literacy, AP Calculus
- Three years of Science: Integrated Science, Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, Forensic Science, Environmental Science
- Three years of The Arts: Performing Arts, Photography, Visual Arts, Traditional New Mexico Arts, Choir, Mass Media, AP Drawing
- Two years of the same World Language: Spanish, French or Japanese; AP Spanish
- Physical Education
- Health (one semester)
- Two years in the Mentorship Program
- Opportunities for Senior Leadership projects
These are minimum requirements only. We strongly recommend four years of a second language, four years in the arts and four years of Mentorship. The State of New Mexico also requires that all Graduates participate in one of the following: Dual Enrollment in a Community College course, taking an Advanced Placement class or a Distance Learning course.
Special ServicesStudents entering Monte del Sol Charter School with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) are placed in classes according to their individual needs. Our Special Services program offers a wide range of services including monitoring students in regular education classes, an inclusion model, and separate academic classes. Considering each student's unique needs is the thrust of our program. The goal of the Special Services program is to foster independence in our students while teaching them to determine what they need to be successful in school, in the community, and in their future lives by learning to advocate for themselves. If your child has an IEP and has won a place through our admissions lottery, please contact Special Services Director, Mary Ellen Neal at 982-5225 ext. 111.